After our month long journey ended I wanted to review my packing job to see how I did! We worked hard to reduce the amount of clothes since we were going to be only carrying backpacks. It was also difficult since we had to bring clothes to fit climates that ranged from 50F and rainy to 85F and very sunny!
Everything that I read stated that we only should pack things if we were going to wear them at least three times. Some other packing tips that I found helpful were:
– Layering can make lighter weight sweaters sufficient for colder climates.
– Shorts are worn in Europe but less frequently for women than in the US. I wore my capris and skirt much more frequently than my shorts.
– Pack non-cotton underwear that can be washed in a sink. It will dry quicker than cotton.
– Only pack as many clothes as between laundry stops.
– You can find a laundromat or a laundry service in most towns.
– Bikini bottoms can be used as underwear.
– www.RickSteves.com has great list for lightweight packing to ensure that you don’t forget anything.
– Make sure you leave excess space in your suitcase for souvenirs or food to eat during your travels.
– Most Importantly: Pack one bag per person that is at most 20lb or 10% of your body weight.